Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dyeing for Socks

I spun up a bunch of the Targhee roving I bought with the idea of making sock yarn. I 2-plied onto the Lendrum giant plying bobbin and then gave it another spin (plying direction) to tighten it up a bit. Too bad I don't have a second giant bobbin for that purpose. It fit on the Jensen Woolee Winder bobbin ... just barely ... the poor WW couldn't move any more. It's almost 250 yds before washing and it's not really fingering weight, probably closer to worsted weight, but sooooo sofffffttttt.


And then.... the color-crazed woman was at it again!!!!

Oh, yeah, and before I forget, there has been an interesting discussion of Kool-Aid dyeing over on Yahoo! Groups Spin List. Join up and you can read all about it.

I had an idea of the colors I wanted. Something bright and southwestern, with turquoise and yellow and some others. I started with my crayons & markers:

These just weren't quite what I wanted. Close, but not there yet.

Then I got out my ColorWorks book so see what it would offer. It has cardstock pages you take out and play with different combinations on the color wheel. I decided that the triad was the right choice. I ended up with fewer colors than I started with: but simplicity is good.

Then out came the Kool-Aid and I started playing.


How did I do? The red is more red than fuschia, but I can't wait for this to dry so I can divide it in half and start knitting socks. Oh, did I mention how soft it is? Verrrrrry soffffffttttt.


It's taking forever to dry in this humidity!!!!

2 comments:

D. said...

pretty stuff Lady, I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like and FEELS like.
Can't wait for sock knitting classes either!!!!

kat said...

I see a dye day in our future