Saturday, March 8, 2008

Blocking the Swallowtail Shawl

First it was soaked in warm soapy water for a while, rinsed a couple of times, then rolled in a towel to get out the excess water. It is just damp now.


I laid it out on the towels & blocking board and started pinning the top edgs.


Next I made the top edge straight and measured from center to end, both ways, making sure they are the same length.


Then I pinned out the center using the blocking board so I had a straight line for reference.


I used a tape measure as a straight line for pinning out the points (see #4 in the group above). And then I worked each side until it looked about right (this was an iterative process). Since my blocking board is too small for the whole job, the result might not be as perfect as I'd like, but no one else will know.


Now I wait. I'll take it off the "blocking mattress" tomorrow when it is completely dry, weave in the ends, and it will be ready to wear!

1 comment:

D. said...

YEP - I'm lauging my socks off!
And I think I have fiber acquisition issues!